If you want your picture removed from the internet, DMCA.com can help.
DMCA.com often handles cases where someone has found their personal private picture(s) hosted on websites without their permission. Often these pictures were stolen from email, phones, laptops or even a friend's camera.
If this has happened to you, we can help. Click here to start a takedown with DMCA.com's Professional Takedown Service
DMCA.com's Personal Takedown Service Department has been very successful at getting personal content (pictures or video) infringements removed from websites. If someone has gained access to your email, computer files, phone or camera and published your picture on the internet without your permission, DMCA.com can help get them removed.
DMCA Fast Tip
If your stolen pictures are located on more than one website, let us know! Often, we can provide bulk pricing to assist with large numbers of takedown requests.
Instructions on How to Get Your Picture Taken off the Internet
- Find as many copies (URL's) and versions of the picture as you can. It can be a tough and difficult process but you are the best person to identify this content. Often the image will be cropped or altered in some way so often you can identify it the quickest. Make a list. Like a weed, if you can get to the source, you can stop it from spreading. Often only one website was the source of the uploaded picture or video. It is important to get it removed from there and move on to the other sites, if there are any.
Note: DMCA.com does provide a professional service to locate copies of your photos for takedown. When completing your takedown notice form on the site make sure and request a quote for this service if you are interested.
- Do not assume that once your photo or video is off one (Facebook) page the issue is resolved. It could have been copied and uploaded somewhere else. The longer the picture has been up the more likely it has spread to other networks and websites.
- Do not become a victim of extortion! Do not send money or a picture of your ID to hosting companies or website owners in order to get your picture removed. This is a serious act of privacy violation and not required within any takedown process, anywhere. If you must pay to have your image taken offline it is extortion or a bribe under most laws. If you must pay or follow some other bizarre process to have your content taken offline, do so with a lawyer, inform the police and where possible, have an internet specialist with you.
- Begin Processing (DMCA) Takedowns immediately! The faster the better. Do it now! Staying on top of getting your content taken down means you can stop or slow the spread of pictures.
- You can conduct takedowns yourself if you are internet savvy (DMCA.com has a very inexpensive DIY Program)
- Use a lawyer or
- Use a service like DMCA.com's Professional Takedown Service.
Regardless of the method you use, the quicker the better. Processing takedowns can also help any legal action you have started or will start later. If you choose to conduct the process yourself here are a few important tips:
- Follow the (DMCA) Takedown process of website where you have found the pictures or video exactly. If the website has its own policy follow that.
- Do not be emotional in your description or request for removal
- Do not tell a story or give background or incident details
- Clearly the state facts related to the photo or picture usage - it's your picture, or you are in it and you did not give permission to be used in this manner or you own the copyright.
- Stop the source. Find out where the content came from and make sure no more theft of your pictures can occur. If the images are on your email, mobile, camera, laptop etc. make sure to remove access to the internet. If someone has gained access to your mobile or cell phone, email, computer files, GoPro, camera or iCloud storage and published your pictures on the internet change your passwords and remove the content.
DMCA Takedown Testimonial
I am so relieved to have found DMCA.com. They are super professional, the service they provide is fast and flawless, communication is excellent. I can finally rest assured that my videos and pictures are being taken down from the infringing websites with the help of Dmca.
How long does it take to have my picture taken off the internet?
The length of time for the picture to be taken down from a website can be hours or days. It depends on the site and conditions of the takedown notice.
One of the advantages of using a professional company like DMCA.com is experience and expertise in building and processing takedown notices.
- Experience means - the team is familiar with the site where your picture is located and will know what it takes to get it removed quickly.
- Expertise means - getting it right the first time. It is critical to get notice process right the first time to not waste time in the getting the picture removed.
What is needed to take my picture off the internet?
The first things you will need to take your picture off the internet are the following:
1. Infringing URLs / Stolen Links
Where on the internet (or platform like Facebook or TikTok) is your stolen content located? What is the link that you want the content removed from? Be sure to provide the URL or website/webpage link of the content you want removed. If the stolen content is an image or video located on a website provide the direct link of the content contained in the site. Copy and paste the infringing text, or provide the URL of the infringing image if required.
An example link would look like: https://www.badguy_site.com/webpage/image_2
2. Source URLs / Original Links
Where was your content located when it was stolen? Was it on your social media profile? Was it from your own website? Provide the exact URL where it was stolen from, even if the content has already been removed from its original location. The original URL is still valuable to the notice. If it was not online you can reference cell phone, computer, or camera etc. If it was online such as a website or cloud storage provide the link to the exact page it was stolen from. You can upload the original content to a cloud storage service and provide that URL with an explanation of where it was originally stolen from.
An example link would look like: https://share.icloud.com/photos/my_original_content
3. Description of the Issues
What is the content owner's name and how was the content stolen? How is this content yours? How do you own it? Did you create it, buy it, copyright it? Who is claiming ownership of the content? Who is authorized to file the DMCA Takedown? When did you create the content and when was the content stolen?
An example description would sound like: "My photo I took of myself on my camera was stolen from my Google Drive and was posted on this website without my knowledge and I would like it removed."
If you are unsure how to collect the information for these three categories the Professional Takedown Team at DMCA.com can help with the answers. Click here to ask us about your situation.
What if I don't have the original picture?
Not having source copies or information of proof is a common problem that can make the issue more complex.
Our Professionally Takedown team is familiar with the process of missing source information for takedown notices. They'll help guide you through what needs to be done and fixed.
Please be sure to clearly state why the information is not available.
What if my picture is on more than one site?
Most often stolen pictures are on multiple websites or platforms. Our takedown signup form has all the space you need to add as many links as you want so that our Professional Takedown team can review the list and advise you on best options to proceed.
Our team is familiar with the process of multiple website and platform takedown notices. They'll help guide you through what you need to do.
If there is one site in particular that is of the most concern for you be sure and highlight that when you submit your takedown request. This will help the team prioritize what is most important to you.
Related DMCA Takedown FAQ's
- What is the DMCA Protected Badge
- What is DMCA Protection
- What is DMCA Takedowns
- What is DMCA.com
- What is DMCA Protected Certificate
- What is DMCA Website Certificate
- What is DMCA Website Status Page and Protection Certificate
Start Your Takedown: here