Not all take downs are the same and not all takedown service providers are the same. Doing a little research and asking a couple of questions will SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY.
If you are eager to get started right away, click here to start a DMCA Takedown
How do I choose the right DMCA Takedown service provider?
Here are some simple qualifiers you should know about your service provider:
- Do they offer a money back guarantee? This is a straight up service qualifier that gives you peace of mind. This should be standard issue with any company in the content takedown business.
- Can you speak with someone handling your service? While email and web forms may carry the burden of case work the ability to speak with a professional about your case issues can be critical. Some cases are significantly more complicated than others. Having a conversation to discuss your options, pricing, and service updates is professional.
- Do they process both personal and commercial takedown notices? These two kinds of takedowns are very different. One kind does NOT fit all. Personal takedowns require an extra level of professionalism.
- What is their experience and qualifications handling takedown notices - Number of years, number of countries, number and type of clients. Experience counts in the takedown business. Whoever you choose needs to know the "internet landscape". They should know the major players involved and how to navigate the complex country, host and ISP issues. Otherwise, your takedown may not work, may take too long or not happen at all.
- What other takedown service and support options can they provide? Are they a full-service shop? Do they also offer research services, content and case monitoring, legal referral, etc. All these can be a part of most takedown notices. If you have to go elsewhere or do it yourself that may slow down the process of getting your content taken down or cost you more.
- Do they provide Case Updates? You should be able to check the status of your case proceedings at any time. You should be able to know what stage your takedown request is in so as to plan appropriately.
- Are they concerned about your privacy? Special consideration needs to be shown regarding takedown case materials. Often the content is confidential and private. Email is not going to be an appropriate method of communication with regards to takedown notice cases. A secure login in which to communicate details regarding your case is mandatory.
DMCA Fast Tip
DMCA.com provides two main services for Takedowns. Through the Professionally Managed Takedown service we manage your takedown for you, or you can do it yourself with the Do it Yourself Takedown Toolkit.
Why use a takedown service provider?
Why not just do the takedown notice yourself? Good question. DMCA.com even has a Do it Yourself (DIY) takedown service for those who feel comfortable doing it themselves.
Sending a takedown notice is easy. Anyone can do it. However not all takedowns are the same. There are many variables regarding the creation and processing of takedown notices:
- Which notice will be the most effective?
- Is the notice commercial or personal? (they are both very different.)
- Is it being sent to the right people?
- Is the right kind of notice for the right people?
- Is it the right kind of notice for the country within which the website and/or webhost is located?
- What kind of content is contained within the takedown notice? (eg sending takedown notices (or any email) with links containing underage content is prohibited in some countries and some jurisdictions.)
- Are the correct number of notices being sent?
- Are the notices being sent in the correct order?
- Do any of the parties receiving the notices respond to takedown requests?
If you know the answers to these conditions with your notice by all means create and send the notice yourself. Otherwise, we recommend you choose a takedown process service provider that will conduct a fast, professional, efficient job.
DMCA Takedown Testimonial
I need to congratulate DMCA for their fantastic Job. We asked DMCA to take down a whole website that was a copycat of our website and within 10 days, it was done. We are very grateful to DMCA. I highly recommend their services. -Polar Engraving
Is a DMCA Takedown Service for the USA only?
Most countries accept the standard DMCA Takedown Notice form and process. While the DMCA is part of USA Copyright Law, the DMCA Takedown process described within the law is widely used throughout the world. Although the DMCA Takedown is part of US Copyright law, a DMCA Takedown Notice is often used and accepted throughout the world and not exclusive to the United States. However, many countries have their own copyright laws specifically related to the removal of content from internet service providers and site owners within their borders. Which service providers do and do not accept the standard DMCA takedown notice form and process is dynamic and constantly changing. DMCA.com professionals are aware of these constant changes and are able to convert the information submitted through the standard DMCA Takedown signup form to suit specific countries and/or service providers within the legal process they require.
What kind of websites will a DMCA Takedown service provider process takedowns through?
DMCA Takedown service providers remove infringing content from many different websites and platforms. Here's some examples:
- by the by the ISP or Hosting company of the website that is publishing the infringing content. This occurs because the website owner has not voluntarily complied with a DMCA Notice and the ISP or Hosting company must comply with the Takedown notice.
- by the website owner, upon receipt of a DMCA Takedown Notice from the website owner's ISP / Hosting company. This would occur when ISP / Hosting company receives a notice sent by or on behalf of the content owner, distributor, publisher etc.
- by the website owner upon receipt of a DMCA Takedown Notice from the, or on behalf of, the content owner, distributor, publisher etc.
- when an infringing website is taken down or taken "offline" by it's ISP or Hosting company. This occurs because the website owner does not voluntarily comply with a Takedown notice as described above.
- from a UCG (User Generated Content) Platform (like Facebook and TikTok), upon receipt of a DMCA Takedown Notice sent by or on behalf of the infringed content owner, distributor, publisher etc.
These Takedown actions occur upon receipt of a DMCA request which uses stipulations laid out in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. (DMCA). This Act directly addresses the takedown of (copyright) infringed content from a website which is publishing content in violation of copyright protection act or content being used without permission or not in accordance to the sworn statement of the content owner.There are many ways content may be removed but they process starts with a Takedown Notice.
Who would need a DMCA tkaeodnw service provider?
Content can be stolen from all different types of content creators, such as the following:
- NFT owners
- code writers and publishers
- social media users and participants
- copyright owners
- content creators/owners
- content publishers or distributors (with permission of the content or copyright owners)
- subject contained within the content and published without permission (special considerations may be required)
If the lists above don't describe your situation, please ask! Click here to Ask a question!
See more informaton here:
Start a takedown!
More information on personal takedowns?
More information on celebrity and commercial takedowns?
More information on doing your own takedowns with our tools to help? (DIY Toolkit)
Related DMCA Takedown FAQ's
- What is the DMCA Protected Badge
- What is DMCA Protection
- What is DMCA Takedowns
- What is DMCA.com
- What is DMCA Protected Certificate
- What is DMCA Website Certificate
- What is DMCA Website Status Page and Protection Certificate